Saturday, December 16, 2006

In The Springtime, You're Gonna Wish That We Were Friends

I'm just a by-stander with firsthand foreknowledge of what really happens when the train jumps the tracks and the coquette flies the coop so believe me when I say that when you say that you absolutely cannot give anymore, you have to be sure that you will never be so sure again because between the disingenuous and the reckless lies the regret and you can multiply it by no-number-big-enough for each baby whose home you will be wrecking and, Honey, it ain't the peaches and cream you think it will be and I only had the one baby and she was very, very good and he? He was very, very bad. That being said, happiness came to me more quickly than I ever imagined it would be because I had settled in for a long winter's nap of crying lonely tears into a shot glass perfectly synchronized with the last bittersweet notes of some violin solo in the soundtrack of my life when I, quite by accident, found everything I ever needed. Happiness is not a myth and it can be had even by average girls like you and me. And, Princess, you are average.

That's what I wished I would have said but I just said the bit about not being able to cry after awhile and not even really being that sad but being filled with terrible dread and guilt and other things that were lost on my captive audience because TO scored again and so real quick I composed this little letter in my head, instead:

I DO NOT THINK YOU FULLY APPRECIATE THE GRAVITY OF WHAT YOU ARE SUGGESTING NOR DO I THINK YOU HAVE A REALISTIC NOTION OF THE CONSEQUENCES OF YOUR ACTIONS. YOU ARE AN ADULT AND YOU HAVE MADE ADULT DECISIONS AND ADULTS HAVE TO LIVE WITH THE FALLOUT OF THE PROMISES THEY MAKE, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, AND DO NOT GIVE ME THAT SHIT ABOUT IT BEING AGAINST YOUR RELIGION BECAUSE IF I EVER HEARD AN ARGUMENT FOR OR AGAINST STAYING IN A MARRIAGE, THAT WOULD BE ONE OF THE WEAKEST.

The simple truth is that you do not know yourself well enough to know exactly what it is that you need because the things you are telling me that are important to you are vague, contradictory and objectively petty, and it is alarmingly clear to me how little thought you have put into trying to understand yourself. How can you say that you love someone with "all your heart" and that they are your "soul mate" but that you absolutely much scratch that seven year itch? Quit trying to look to me as a role model because I live my life for the benefit of no man or woman, just my girl and my boy, and I reached for the scissors only when the last grains of my sanity and hope were falling through my fingers. Granted, I wouldn't recommend that particular flavor of devotion for the faint of heart, but if you really want to discover your personal limits and learn what it is that you need to live a life that is gratifying to you, well, it is a good way to find out.

Signed,

Living Fast, Dying Young and Baptized By Fire

But I tore it up before I ever committed it to paper.