Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Acceptance Speech

So much on my mind; so little of it worth anything. I miss you in your sleep. I miss you in mine. I am pathetic like a magnet. I mean I'm like a magnet; pathetic. I can't help it. I don't care. Let me speak plainly: I love you completely. Here's a phone call I recently had with you in my head:

Hi.
Pick up.
Pick me up.
Take me back.
To bed. With you.
In it.
Be gentle.
Put me back.
Put me back together.
Won't you? Can you? Will you?
Because I will. Wait up.
Wait up for you.
To wake up.
Wake up.


Wow. I'm so honored to be here tonight. I can hardly believe that -- it just seems like ... Look. I love my children. And, practically speaking, I did it for them. But without the incomparable company of my darling Criminal, I would've forgotten to continue breathing a long time ago. You've worn off my velveteen and made me real. Your face is perfect. You remind me that I didn't die. There can never be anyone else.