Saturday, December 02, 2006

Housefly Meet Sledgehammer

These feelings won't go away. And for just this little while, I want to pretend like nothing will ever change. There is no escape hatch in this submarine so make a list of everything beautiful that you see on the ride down because I expect we will pass this way only once. Sometimes, when I am carrying my child on my hip, I become keenly aware of her small hand on my breast, passively hanging on, and I am glad for every night I rocked her to sleep and I feel compelled to tell her how my life would be meaningless without her. And sometimes, when my man lays his head in my lap, I become keenly aware of the striations in his deltoids, passively hanging on, and I am glad for every morning I wake up in bed with him and I feel compelled to tell him how he transformed my life from simply surviving to actually living. But, in both circumstances, I get bottle-necked and my mouth opens but no words come out and my eyes fill up with tears but they don't fall. These feelings won't go away.